DZUP 1602 NEW PROGRAMMING for SEPTEMBER
by DZUP on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 1:18pm
Hi DZUP fans,
Sobrang Saya at Sigla simula Setyembre sa DZUP 1602 dahil may mga
bagong programang nakahanda para sa inyo. Narito po ang kumpletong
Maraming salamat po sa lahat na patuloy na tumatangkilik. Lubos naming
pinapahalagahan ang inyong mga mungkahi at mga comments. Sana'y patuloy
ang inyong suporta.
Maki-livestreaming na rin sa www.dilc.upd.edu.ph.
Sa DZUP 1602, matino ang usapan para sa maunlad na bayan, kasalik ka!
DZUP 1602'S NEW PROGRAMMING GRID EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 6, 2010
11:00 AM-12:00 NN Musikang May K: Himigsikan at KKK : Himigsikan (MWF),
12:00 NN- 1:00 PM At Your Service :
Ekonomiyang Pantahanan (M)
R.O.S.E. at your service (T)
Lib Radio (W)
Wais Spend (Th)
Sikhay Kilos (F)
1:00 PM- 2:00 PM Isko at Iska: The Interns' Hour (Sabi ko Sabi nya
(MF), Trivia 10 (TTh), Samahang Bidang-bida (W)
2:00 PM- 3:00 PM Sali ka Bayan (Kodao Productions)
3:00 PM- 4:00 PM May Punto Ka D'yan (Balitaan, Balitaktakan at
4:00 PM- 5:00 PM Radio Iskool REVIEW
5:00 PM- 6:00 PM Radio Iskool : Quadro Kantos (M)
Tuti: Tunog at Tinig (W)
French Tayo (Th)
6:00 PM- 7:00 PM Radio Iskool: KALampagan sa Lunes (M)
Usapang Media (T)
Buhay Manggagawa (W)
Psych O'clock Habit (Th)
Sine Chichirya (F)
7:00 PM- 8:00 PM Tropang Rad'yo
Brief history of broadcasting at UP
By Arkibong Bayan
The first application for a broadcasting facility at UP was not granted by
the then Radio Control Board. This was the application in 1952 of
Professor Segovia of the UP Department of Electrical Engineering/
But in 1957, Juanito
Viado, a student of the RCA (Radio Corporation of America) engineering
subject applied for a permit and was licensed to operate a radio station
at the broadcast band, specifically at 1580 kilocyles (Hertz).
The first broadcaster, a 500-watt transmitter, was donated by Mr. Siochi,
a UP alumnus and installation work was immediately started atop the
Engineering Building, now Melchor Hall. Mr. Lester McMurdy of RCA
supervised the installation, providing the transmitter with an antenna
oriented for a North-South broadcast. Problems were initially encountered,
resulting in blown fuses and the signals not getting out in full
Near the AM broadcast station was the DU1UP ham radio station used by
electrical engineering students for their ham radio work. The DZUP studio
was constructed beside the ham radio station.
President Vicente G. Sinco formally inaugurated DZUP on December 2, 1958.
All programs were in the afternoon, Monday to Saturday.
Later in August 1959, UP acquired a 2-kilowatt transmitter from Telecom
and a 120-foot vertical antenna from Clark Air Force Base. The new
transmitter had 27 vacuum tubes and powerful enough to cover a broadcast
area 100-kilometer radius. DZUP inaugurated a new station at Palma Hall on
March 23, 1950, with signals sent to the remote transmitter at Melchor
On January 11, 1960, DZUP technicians configured the 500-watt transmitter
to broadcast simultaneously on the shortwave band. Thus the Voice of the
covered the world.
The Department of Speech and Drama took charge of the programs of the
radio station while the Department of Electrical Engineering provided the
Data for this brief history of DZUP come from the article, Radio
Broadcasting in UP by Leonardo Serrano, Jr. EE '62, published in the
coffee table book, Engineering Excellence, 1910-2010