Press Conference of the UP Faculty Against Pork (UP FacPork)
highlights pork timeline and the cover-up

 

UP Vinzons Hall

 

June 9, 2014

/p

 

 

     
   
 
/p

/p
 
           

.

JUNE 9, 2014
PRESS RELEASE
June 9, 2014

`UP list’ shows reactive, inefficient gov’t action on pork barrel scam – UP profs

“The Aquino administration proves to be reactive and inefficient in handling the pork barrel scam.”

Concerned University of the Philippines (UP) faculty members made this conclusion during a press conference today (June 9) at the lobby of Vinzons Hall in UP Diliman, Quezon City.

Based on a “UP list” or timeline prepared by the UP Faculty Against Pork Barrel (UP FacPork), it appears that the scam which initially hogged the headlines in July 2013 remains largely unresolved due to government inaction. While President Noynoy Aquino made a public declaration the month after (August 2013) that it is high time to abolish the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), it was done mainly to placate growing unrest and had little impact in terms of necessary policy reforms.

“The current system of political patronage through budgetary allocations remain. The essence of PDAF still remains,” UP FacPork members stressed. They stressed that Aquino openly admitted last year the replacement of PDAF with a new mechanism when he said this in his speech: “[B]ubuo tayo ng bagong mekanismo upang matugunan ang pangangailangan ng inyong mga mamamayan at sektor… Makakapagmungkahi ng proyekto ang inyong mga mambabatas, ngunit kailangan itong idaan sa proseso ng pagbubuo ng budget. (http://www.gov.ph/2013/08/23/pahayag-ni-pangulong-aquino-ukol-sa-abolisyon-ng-pdaf-ika-23-ng-agosto-2013/).”

They expressed dissatisfaction over the handling of the pork barrel scam and even accused Aquino himself of protecting embattled government officials Budget Secretary Florencio Abad and Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala. “It would be advisable for the officials currently in hot water to resign. This is not an issue of public opinion but also of delicadeza,” UP FacPork members said, adding that a full-blown and impartial investigation should be conducted to determine once and for all the extent of involvement of all parties, alliance with the Aquino administration notwithstanding.

To fulfill their role as social critics, the concerned UP professors said that they are duty-bound to join the mass actions in the months and years to come, particularly the one being organized on June 12 (Independence Day).

For verification and more details, please call Prof. Danilo A. Arao (UP Diliman Department of Journalism) at (0908) 866-2726.
 

 

 

Prof  Sarah Raymundo of UP FacPork
Jun Cruz of All UP Workers Union
      Prof. Ramon Bomen Guillermo
     
     
     

.

As Ombudsman readies Sandigan case: June 12 rally to call for prosecution of all involved in pork scam
Posted on 06 June 2014 by BAYAN

News Release
June 6, 2014

It’s too early to be celebrating.

This was the statement of the umbrella group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan after the Ombudsman denied the motion for reconsideration filed by Janet Lim Napoles and several co-accused including three incumbent senators. The denial paves the way for the filing of the criminal information of plunder and graft and corruption before the Sandiganbayan, which will in turn issue the corresponding warrants of arrests.

“The impending filing of cases before the Sandiganbayan is no longer a surprise as the Aquino administration focused all its efforts on going after Enrile, Estrada and Revilla. What we’d like to know is if the Ombudsman will stop at the three senators and several other officials. The pork scam involves many officials, including other senators, congressmen and members of Aquino’s cabinet. It is too early to be celebrating anything,” said Bayan secretary general Renato M. Reyes, Jr.

A nationwide protest action is being spearheaded by the #abolishpork movement on June 12, dubbed as a “Rally for Accountability” with the call “Lahat ng sangkot, dapat managot!” The group is opposing any Aquino cover-up aimed at protecting Palace allies from prosecution.

“As things stand, only a select few have been investigated and prosecuted. Aquino himself has been leading the cover-up of the pork scam by insulating his allies and cabinet members like Abad and Alcala. The Pork Barrel King is the number one protector of the pork scammers within this administration,” he added.

Bayan is also readying actions for the possible Supreme Court decision on the Disbursement Acceleration Program. Leaders of Bayan and the #abolishpork Movement are petitioners versus the DAP.

The issue of presidential pork could figure prominently in the June 12 protests especially if an SC decision is made by June 10. Bayan reminded the public that the DAP is a discretionary fund used by the President to influence Congress at the height of the Corona impeachment. DAP funds have also been diverted to questionable projects, including those connected with Napoles NGO’s.

“For ordinary Filipinos, a lot is at stake with the prosecution of those involved in the pork barrel scam. We cannot leave it up to the President and his cohorts, especially since the President himself had made use of his presidential pork through the DAP to influence congress and practically bribe senators. On June 2, we have to make a stand: that all those involved in the misuse and plunder of public funds, from Congress all the way to Malacanang, should be answerable to the people,” Reyes added.

Various groups are expected to converge at 3pm in Liwasanng Bonifcaio for a program before marching towards Mendiola Bridge where they will end the protest action with a torch parade. Other protests are also being readied in other cities throughout the country. ### -

See more at: http://www.bayan.ph/site/2014/06/as-ombudsman-readies-sandigan-case-june-12-rally-to-call-for-prosecution-of-all-involved-in-pork-scam/#sthash.Aj7rdDtg.dpuf

 

NCPAG Prof Joyce Cuaresma
     
UP Cebu Prof. Bebot Sanchez      
     
     
     
 
==          
     
  Prof. Gerry Lanuza  
           

.

PORK BARREL TIMELINE
Download file in Word format

 


 

Pork barrel scam and Napoles turn of events

PEOPLE’s FIGHT AGAINST PORK

JULY 2013

Exposing the P10-B Pork Barrel Scam to the public

 

·         Inquirer releases story on supposed Malampaya fund misuse

·         Makabayan bloc files bill seeking to scrap pork barrel

·         DOJ gives Luy 'provisional' gov’t protection despite arrest warrant

 

August 16

 

UP Faculty Against Congressional and Presidential Pork Press Con at UP Diliman, Picket at Taft Avenue

 

AUGUST 2013

Actions taken by various government agencies and JLN’s

 

1.       Bureau of Immigration

Flight risk order to JLN and her family members

 

2.       Makati Regional Trial Court

-          Arrest of Janet Lim-Napoles over illegal detention case;

-          Court order to freeze JLN’s bank accounts

-          Ordered JLN’s transfer to Makati City Jail on Thursday night, a day after her surrender;

 

3.       COA

Release of comprehensive PDAF report revealing Senators Enrile, Revilla and Estrada as beneficiaries to the funds

 

4.       Senate

Blue Ribbon Committee’s launch of a formal probe into the multi-billion pork barrel scam

 

5.       Malacańang

-          PNoyorders the Inter-Agency Anti-Graft Coordinating Council to probe the PDAF scam. The investigating council consists of the Ombudsman, the Department of Justice, and the Commission on Audit;

-          Announcement of a P10M reward for information leading JLN and her brother’s arrest

 

6.       JLN surrenders to PNoy

-          Wednesday night, Aug. 28

-          According to news reports, Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda met with Napoles in a mausoleum in Heritage Park, then they went off to Malacańang with Atty. Lorna Kapunan

-          Sec. Mar Roxas’ presscon/interview as JLN is turned over to DILG and PNP custody (in Camp Crame);

 

 

August 26

 

·         UP joins MIllion People March; proceeded to Mendiola

 

·         Lakaw Kontra Pork Barrel: Bayan-Bicol leads march to abolish pork barrel

Legazpi City

 

 

 

 

SEPTEMBER 2013

Actions taken by various government agencies and JLN’s

 

1.       Makati Regional Trial Court

-          Orders transfer to Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna on September 1;

 

2.       COA

-          Report reveals Senators Legarda and Marcos as the newest addition involved in the scam

 

3.       Supreme Court

-          Stops the release of PDAF for 2013; The TRO enjoins the Department of Budget and Management, the National Treasurer, the Executive Secretary, or any persons acting under their authority from releasing: -the remaining PDAF allocated to members of Congress under the General Appropriations Act of 2013; and Malampaya Funds under the phrase, “for such other purposes as may be hereafter directed by the President” under Section 8 of Presidential Decree No. 910, but not for the purpose of “financing energy resource development and exploitation programs and projects of the government' under the same provisions.”

-          Court enters 'not guilty' plea for Napoles in illegal detention case

 

4.       Ombudsman and Senate

-          Janet Lim Napoles along with 38 others, including Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada, and Bong Revilla are charged with plunder; JLN’s other charges are malversation and corruption of public officials through bogus NGOs

-          Ombudsman Conchita Morales summons Janet Lim Napoles before the Senate Blue Ribbon committee;

 

5.       BIR

Filing of P61-M tax evasion charge vs. Napoles couple

 

September 9

 

Teachers march to Congress: “Rechannel Pork Barrel Funds to education and social services

Batasan, Quezon City

 

 

September 11

 

Katipunan Kontra Korupsyon

 

 

September 13

 

·         The Forward March Interfaith Prayers and Rock&Rage Concert Part I

Manila

 

·         The Jericho March Against Pork Barrel

Iloilo

 

 

September 21

 

Level UP and Never Porkget Mob

UP Diliman

 

OCTOBER 2013

Actions taken by various government agencies, JLN and other individuals

 

1.       Ombudsman and Senate

-          Napoles, President Arroyo charged with plunder

-          The second time JLN is charged with plunder; “As a result of the conspiratorial acts of DBM (Department of Budget and Management) and DAR (Department of Agrarian Reform) officials with Napoles, said conspirators pocketed the amount or total value of P900 million supposedly intended for the relief operations, rehabilitation, reconstruction and other work and services to areas affected by natural calamities,” the 39-page complaint read” (GMA News)

-          Senate orders JLN to appear before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on Nov. 7 to testify

 

2.       Kapunan resigns as JLN’s lawyer

 

3.       Malacańang

-          Aquino delivers a speech on broadcast TV to clarify issues with the Disbursement Acceleration Program and the pork barrel

 

October 4

 

Million People March in Ayala, Makati

 

 

October 5

 

Launching of Church People’s Alliance Against Pork Barrel

CICM Provincial House, Quezon City

 

 

October 14

 

Church groups deliver letter to members of 16th Congress: “Abolish Pork, Rechannel Funds, Punish Scammers, Junk DAP

Batasan, Quezon City

NOVEMBER 2013

Continuation of PDAF probe at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Hearing

 

The Supreme Court declares the PDAF unconstitutional.

November 27

 

UP MSA’s KKK: Konsyerto Kontra Korapsyon

 

 

150th Birth Anniversary of Gat Andres Bonifacio

Manila

DECEMBER 2013

Issues arising in relation to Malampaya funds

 

The impact of the P14.5 per kilowatt-hour increase in generation charge of Manila Electric Co. (Meralco)  due to the sourcing of power plants to more expensive fuel, could be resolved by tapping the remaining funds in the Malampaya funds to cover the increase in power charge as raised by Osmeńa to Malacańang

 

 

December 14

 

National Assembly for People’s Initiative at St. Joseph’s College, Quezon City

 

 

 

 

JANUARY 2014

Continuation of PDAF probe at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Hearing

 

Malacańangannounced a no deadline policy for the Office of the Ombudsman on PDAF case

 

January 24-25

 

People Surge

Tacloban City

FEBRUARY 2014

 

Continuation of PDAF probe at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Hearing

 

February 14

 

One Billion Rising

UP Diliman and other UP CUs

MARCH 2014

 

9TH PDAF scam hearing; present in the hearing were DOJ Secretary Leila De Lima, Technology Resource Center Director Dennis Cunanan and whistleblower BenhurLuy

 

March 8

 

103rd anniversary of International Women’s Day led by Gabriela

Liwasang Bonifacio to Mendiola 

APRIL 2014

Rising events in relation to the PDAF scam and the Senate Blue Ribbon committee hearing

 

1.       The return of Ruby Tuason and Gigi Reyes from abroad who are also charged with plunder for their involvement in the PDAF scam;

 

2.       Tuason returning P40M to the Ombudsman

 

3.       Ombudsman Conchita Morales and COA Chair Grace Tan delay the filing of PDAF cases to accused individuals

 

 

4.       Investigation of other pork anomalies such as the 900M MalampayaFund

April 5

 

People Surge holds Cenakulo procession at Times Street (5th month since the disaster)

 

April 8

 

People Surge Alliance holds Cenakulo procession to expose the plight of Yolanda survivors

Quiapo to Mendiola (5th month since the disaster)

 

April 27

 

Mobilization at the 2014 UP Commencement Exercises

UP Diliman

MAY 2014

Continuation of PDAF probe at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Hearing

 

1.       DA Secretary Proceso Alcala implicated in the scam

 

 

2.       Senate

 

-          Completion and transmittal of JLN’s affidavit containing the list of individuals involved in the scam, which the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee set its deadline on May 22

-          BenhurLuy’s files showing detailed business transactions presented to Senate to cross-check JLN’s list and affidavit

-          Proposal for an independent truth commission divided the Senate with Trillanes pushing for its creation VS Drilon leaving the case to the Ombudsman

 

3.       DOJ

De Lima ordered NBI to create a back-up copy of files containing pieces of evidence linking to lawmakers involved in the scam by a subpoena ordered by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee;

 

4.       Malacańang

Malacanang challenged Sandra Cam to testify and prove allegations involving public officials receiving bribes from Napoles

 

 

May 23

 

Black Friday protests organized by KabataanPartylist, Karatula, Anakbayan, League of Filipino Students in time for the World Economic Forum (WEF)

JUNE 2014

Rising events in relation to the PDAF scam and the Senate Blue Ribbon committee hearing

 

1.       JLN’s lawyer announced her willingness to return P2B as she claimed to have only earned from the P10B scam

 

2.       Implication of DBM Secretary Florencio Abad to the scam

 

3.       Ombudsman and Senate

-          Grants immunity to Luy and other whistleblowers namely Marina Sula, MerlinaSuńas, Mary ArleneBaltazar and SimonetteBriones;

-          Denied appeals filed by the implicated senators and other co-respondents in the PDAF scam case;

-          Opens the filing with the Sandiganbayanof plunder cases;

-          JLN is denied with her appeal to immunity by not meeting the necessary requirements in making her become a witness

 

June 4

NUSP and YOUTH Act Now Alliance vowed to campaign to expose and end pork barrel and corruption in the country.

 

ABOLISH PORK MOVEMENT PRESS CONFERENCE

June 9

 

FAC Press conference

 

Pork Panes: Pork Barrel System Maintained Forum by UP Kilos NA MSA.

 

June 12

 

LAHAT NG SANGKOT, DAPAT MANAGOT!

“No To Aquino’s Pork Cover-UP”Mobilization

Liwasang Bonifacio- Mendiola

 

 

 

 

The Cover-up
Prof. Roselle Pineda presents The Cover-Up
     
 
Covering the UPFactPork Press Conference 
     
BONUS TRACKS 
Wenceslao Q. Vinzons and the Vinzons Hall
     
     
     
     
     
     
           
     
     
 

Murals at the Vinzons Hall Lobby
 
           
           
           

 

/p

  
 

Google